Tasting - American Pale Ale



American Pale Ale


Brewday Notes
Brewday Video

Appearance

The hazy orange is perhaps a shade or two darker than American IPA.  The similarity in appearance isn't surprising considering the two beers have very similar grist.  Head retention is great, I think this may be in part attributed to the 60 grams of Mosaic dry hops added to each keg.  Could also be the new water chemistry calculator.  The dry hop filter I installed on the keg's beverage out dip tube seems to be doing a fine job.  The pints thus far have been free of hop bits and debris.



Aroma

There is a notable hop presence in the aroma, however it lacks a certain "pop" that I was hopping for.  I've used Mosaic on a few occasions and I am familiar with it's "berry" like character, so while the definition is alright, the Mosaic character is somewhat muted.  I think the beer would most definitely benefit from more (MOAR!) hops.  There is a moderate malt aroma which rounds out the complete profile.

Flavour

The American Pale Ale would be my deserted island beer.  I love this style for many reasons but none more than the drinkable balanced between hops and malt.  For no other reason, I consider my APA to be a success.  There is a firm hoppiness, however the entire package has been rounded out with supporting malts.  Make no mistake, it's hops first and malt second, but I am pleased with the total package.

Overall Impression

Steve L - "This won't last long... there's your quote."

Wife - "Why do you ask me to comment on hoppy beers, you know I don't like them.  It smells like every other beer you make, Citrusy... [Takes the smallest sip possible]... Nope."

There is room for improvement but my APA holds up well against some of my favorite commercial examples.  The beer could benefit from additional late and dry hopping and in doing so, I would increase original gravity by another 2-4 points (in order to maintain balance).  With that said, the beer does have decent pulling power. The Brits would describe the quality as "moreish".

Comments