Tasting - American IPA




Brewday Notes
Brewday Video

Appearance

Pretty darn beautiful if you ask me. Head is tight and creamy (insert joke) and floats atop the beer throughout the whole pint.  Lacing is defined, you can count the number of sips it took to finish the glass... even a glass that has been put through the dishwasher with rinse aid... gasp!!!  A lovely, hazy, golden-orange, not in anyway turbid, totally free of debris.  I added a secondary dose of Galaxy dry hops directly to the keg so the installed dip tub filter seems to be holding up well.





Aroma

Bingo!  Lots of fruit, mostly strong ripe citrus with supporting tropical notes.  I would have preferred a touch more pine and would consider up'ing the ratio of Simcoe in the future, however the beer still smells great and is most definitely an American IPA.  The Aroma is very reminiscent of a local favorite, Big Rig Alpha Bomb.

Flavour

I think I found a really nice balance between hops and malt and believe the new water calculator delivered. The beer tastes very structured, something previous brews has been lacking.  The flavour is most certainly "hoppy".  Massive bursts of oranges and grapefruit, yet there remains a supporting malt profile that I quite enjoy.  Although the IPA finished dry by Wyeast 1318 standards (1.011 / 82% AA / 6.4% ABV), there is significant body to the beer.  Again, flavour is very familiar to Alpha Bomb.  Bitterness is firm but not harsh.

Overall Impression

Steve L - "This IPA is a piece of fruit! Nicely done."
Wife - "Smells like oranges."

Very pleased.  Although IPA's are one of my most favorite styles, I rarely brew them for several reasons, namely cost and ABV.  I am positive this beer will not hang around very long.  It's pretty awesome. Super fruity, aromatic, very hoppy, resinous, great flavour, and easy to drink.  A touch more pine and I'm in heaven. :)

Comments