Tasting - Brown Porter



First Pint of Brown Porter

Brewday Notes
Brewday Video

Appearance

Considering how long the beer has been cold conditioned, I would consider the beer to be very brite already.  I don't have much experience with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, however I am pleased with how well it responded to 4 days of conditioning.

After 24hrs on C02, the dark brown ale pours with a sticky, moderately dense, light tan coloured head which hangs around through most of the pint resulting in some decent lacing.  When held to the light, some very pleasing ruby highlights shine through.

Aroma

Toasty, dark chocolate.  I am not detecting very much in the way of roast (which I think is a good thing).  The Brown and Pale Chocolate malts are center stage and supported by mild caramel and a nice fruity yeast ester.  Little to no hop aroma.  As the beer warms, I get more and more chocolate notes.

Flavour

More toast.  More dark chocolate. Mild fruit.  I am loving the combination of Brown and Pale Chocolate malts.  The crystal isn't over done, I think the ratio of 2:1:1 works well.  The higher finishing gravity provides a fuller mouth feel, I'd call it light-medium body and actually quite rich and satisfying at 3.75% ABV.

I am detecting a very slight sharpness on the tip of my tongue, could be mild carbonic bite? Could be the result of nearly 20% roasted malts in the grist?  Perhaps even some mild astringency?  I don't feel it's hop related.  In any case, the beer is still green so I'm hoping it conditions out with time.

(Update - Feb 17th) After just a few days of conditioning, the sharpness is gone. The beer is very smooth and full flavoured.

Overall Impression

Steve L - "It's good.  I like this beer."
Wife - "Is this a Stout?  No?  What's the difference?  Don't answer that, I don't really care.  It's good.  Very rich.

I agree with above.  An enjoyable, malt forward ale. Pleasing to look at with a residual sweetness that takes the edge off some of the toastiness and helps to enhance the beer's chocolate flavour.  On a re-brew, I might drop a couple of IBU's and perhaps 50g of Roast Barley.  Also, I'd go CaCl in the kettle (instead of CaS04) to further enhance body and mouthfeel.  Otherwise, I'd brew this recipe pretty much verbatim.  I like it!

Comments